Brief profile of Alwin Addison
by Warwick Torrens

Player:AH Addison

DateLine: 17th June 2007


Alwin Hogarth ADDISON was born at Orroroo in South Australia on 27 October 1887, the son of Elizabeth nee BOWMAN and Arthur Richmond ADDISON. He was educated at the public school in Orroroo and on 18 January 1904 joined the service of the Union Bank of Australia at Mount Gambier. He was transferred to Christchurch in New Zealand in 1909 and from there to Wanganui early in 1910.


While in Christchurch he quickly made his mark on the cricket field and made two first class appearances for Canterbury in the season of 1909-10, the games being played on the tour to Wellington and Auckland. In four visits to the crease he scored just 15 runs while with the ball he captured two wickets at a total cost of 26 runs. In Wanganui he appeared for Wanganui in their March 1910 match against the touring Australian team. With the ball he captured four for 57 and six for 61, though with the bat he failed to score in each innings. He was a left hand batsman and a left arm medium pace bowler. No doubt he continued to play cricket locally but there is no noting of him.


He arrived in Queensland in May 1918, his first posting being to Warwick where he played representative cricket for the local team and also for Darling Downs. His first match of note was in April 1919 when he appeared for Darling Downs against a strong Brisbane team. In this match he scored 6 and 5 and captured two wickets for 58 and one for 30.


In 1920 he was brought to Brisbane in November to play for Jack Hutcheonís team in a trial match against Roger Hartiganís team. He scored 28 not out and failed to capture a wicket in the rain shortened Hartigan team innings. In December 1920 he appeared for Darling Downs against the touring M.C.C. team and on a rain affected wicket he scored 0 and 1 and again failed to capture a wicket. In late December 1920 he played for Darling Downs against the Queensland team, on their way to Sydney for a match against New South Wales. He recorded scores of 4 in each innings and captured two wickets for 68 as the Darling Downs team went down by an innings and 169 runs. In January 1921 he had more success for South Darling Downs against Toowoomba in scoring 9 and 17 and capturing three wickets for 48.


In November 1921 he was a member of the South Queensland team for the now revised Country Trials and then played for Queensland Country against the Brisbane team. He top scored for South Queensland with 37 in their first innings while for Queensland Country he was the stand out bowler with figures of six wickets for 40 as the Brisbane team was dismissed for just 80 runs. In late December 1921 he appeared in the rain ruined match for South Darling Downs against the Queensland team traveling to Sydney. In this season he appeared for South Darling Downs in both of their matches against Toowoomba while in April 1922 he had an outstanding match for the Southern Downsmen against Toombul, scoring 56 and 58 not out and capturing one wicket for 64 and six for 52.


In the season of 1922-23 he was again a member of the South Queensland team for the Country trials and once again appeared for the Queensland Country team against Brisbane. For South Queensland he captured five wickets for 39. He continued to represent Warwick with some success while at the end of the season he appeared for Darling Downs against the Sydney A Grade premiership team of Waverley who had just had the better of a challenge match against Q.C.A. A Grade premiers, Toombul. He scored 20 not out and captured one Waverley wicket at a cost of 71 runs.


He made his final appearances at the higher level in the season of 1923-24. He once again came to Brisbane for the Country trials, appearing for Queensland Country against the Brisbane team and then playing in the team captained by MH Blaxland against an XI captained by LPD OíConnor. He continued to play club cricket in Warwick for some little time but no doubt his banking duties took precedence.


His transfer to Warwick in May 1918 was to the position of branch accountant. In August 1928 he was promoted to manager, Clifton and later to manager Dalby, retiring there from the bank service in October 1950.


In his time in Warwick he became well known and was very popular with the locals - being referred to as Addie. He was long remembered and many of the long resident locals, not only in Warwick, but also in Clifton and Dalby, could provide pleasant tales of their memories of him. He died at Armidale in New South Wales on 31 July 1971.


(Article: Copyright © 2007 Warwick Torrens (email:


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2018 CricketArchive