|Event:||ICC World Cup 2006/07|
DateLine: 2nd March 2007
West Indies legendary all-rounder Sir Garfield Sobers will officially open the 2007 World Cup, organisers said on Friday.
The 70-year-old Sobers will open the 16-team event in Jamaica on March 11.
"It's a great honour to declare the Cricket World Cup open. I'm taking it in my stride and I'm looking forward to the occasion," said Sobers from his home in Barbados.
The former West Indies skipper said he was excited that cricket's showpiece event was coming to the region for the first time.
"It will be phenomenal for the Caribbean, especially for those people who haven't had the opportunity to see a Cricket World Cup. It will be a fantastic experience."
(Article: Copyright © 2007 AFP)
- Australia in India 2022/23
- England in South Africa 2022/23
- ICC Women's Twenty20 World Cup 2022/23
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2022/23
- New Zealand in India 2022/23
- Pakistan Women in Australia 2022/23
- Singapore Women in Cambodia 2022/23
- South Africa Women's International Twenty20 Tri-Series 2022/23
- West Indies in Zimbabwe 2022/23
View all Current Events CLICK HERE