Event: | Unitech Cup 2006 |
DateLine: 16th August 2006
South Africa's cricket authorities on Tuesday approved a proposal to continue with the tri-series in bomb-hit Sri Lanka pending security clearance from the International Cricket Council.
 
Earlier on Monday, the tri-series involving hosts, India and South Africa hung in the balance after the Proteas indicated they wanted to return home following a blast close to their team hotel that killed seven people. 
South African media manager Gordon Templeton said: We are told the ICC wants to have its own security assessment. After discussions with Sri Lanka Cricket, we have decided to stay on in Colombo and will take part in the tri-series if the security clearance comes. 
The ICC has three days to gauge the situation in the Sri Lankan capital before South Africa's first match in the series against India on Saturday, according to the revised schedule drawn up by the organizers. 
The series now gets underway on Wednesday with a day-night match between Sri Lanka and India at the Premadasa stadium. 
Revised schedule: Aug 16: Sri Lanka v India; Aug 19: India v South Africa; Aug 21: Sri Lanka v South Africa; Aug 24: Sri Lanka v India; Aug 26: India v South Africa; Aug 29: Sri Lanka v South Africa; Sept 2: Final