|Scorecard:||Pakistan v England|
|Event:||England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16|
DateLine: 25th October 2015
Letter to Editor - 25th October 2015
Is It Cricket?
Cricket was called a gentlemen’s game. So much so anything improper was proverbially equated as not being “cricket”. In the days gone by I remember an Indian outfielder making an outstretched catch at the ropes and the umpire having had raised his finger, but the Indian player shook his head that one of his feet was touching the rope when he caught the ball and thus the Pakistani batsman was awarded a Sixer instead. Now that was cricket !!
And today at Dubai, Ian Bell kept standing, lingering rather craftily, till the third Umpire declared him out for having been caught behind off the ball touching his glove. Did Ian Bell not know that the ball HAD touched his glove? Why did he not himself make a graceful exit even before the wicket keeper made the appeal?
I know it would sound strange to the present generation cricket players and enthusiasts but can it be called cricket by any standards? !!
Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
30 Westridge 1
Tel: (051) 5158033
(Article: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author only.
Copyright © 2015 Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd))
- England in Pakistan 2021/22
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE