Scotland v Ireland 13, 15 & 16 July 1946
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Glenpark, Greenock
Scorecard:Scotland v Ireland
Event:Ireland in Scotland 1946

DateLine: 4th February 2013




Day 1:
Scotland made a bright start at Glenpark, Greenock, on .Saturday in the three days international match against Ireland. Batting, for four and a quarter hours, they compiled a total of 259. At the close of the innings the Irishmen were left with ten minutes before the end of the day's play, and they hit 14 without loss.


Before the luncheon interval, the game, was thrice interrupted by rain. In the afternoon the conditions were dry and pleasant, and more than 2000 onlookers watched the contest.


The opening batsmen, J. Aitchison (Kilmarnock),. I.J.M. Lumsden (Watsonians), gave the Scottish side an excellent send-off. Lumsden forced the play, and had 51 to his credit before he was out leg before to J. Bowden, the Lisburn slow spin bowler. He hit six boundaries, including three in succession off J. McKee, the last North of Ireland bowler. The partnership realised 80 runs. Aitchison went on to contribute top score of 57. Another notable contribution was made by W. Nichol (Kelburne.) He was slow to get into his stride, but afterwards hit out in fine style to secure 56.


At one period the Scottish batsmen faltered. During this spell the Irishmen captured five wickets for 24 runs, but a, sparkling partnership of 51 in forty minutes by Nichol and R.D. Hodge (Fifeshire) was an effective reply. J.C. Wykes (Grange); and Hodge each hid a 6, the former off Bowden, and the latter of J.W. Hill (Clontarf.)


Ireland rang the changes with six bowlers, but the main attack was entrusted to J. C. Boucher, the Phoenix medium-paced spinner. He bowled thirty two overs, twenty-one of them in a row. Al one point he sent down seven overs in which only a single was scored, and in which he had two wickets, in the end he captured seven wickets for 75.


Day 2:
In the second day's play in the Scotland v Ireland match at Greenock yesterday, the Irishmen passed Scotland's first innings total with five wickets in hand. Shortly afterwards a quick dismissal of two more batsmen put a much better complexion on the situation for the home side, and when stumps were drawn for the day the Irish total was 286 for seven wickets, or 27 runs ahead of Scotland.


The feature of the Irish Innings was the finely compiled 140 by F. Quinn of Phoenix. He batted for three hours, and reached his century in two hours ten minutes. Most of the scoring strokes were to cover and leg, and he placed R. O. McKenna, the Kelburne bowler, under particularly heavy contribution. He hit eighteen boundaries.


Other Irish batsmen gave sound it not spectacular performances R. J. Barnes, of Warrington, made 48, including seven 4s. E.D.R. shearer of Derry, the Irish captain, gave an easy chance to J.C. Wykes on the off boundary after scoring a single, but the Grange fielder failed to hold the slippery ball. Later, Wykes made amends with a grand catch in the deep off field, which dismissed Quinn.


R. S. Hodge, Fifeshire, bore the main burden of the Scottish attack. He bowled no fewer than 36 overs, of which seven were maidens. He secured four wickets at a cost of 101 runs. S.J. Thomson, Ferguslie, and J. D. Henderson, Strathmore, gave sterling displays with the ball. The former had two wickets for 31 runs, and the latter one for 31. In his fourteen overs Henderson sent down seven maidens.


Rain delayed the start of the day's play for twenty five minutes, there was an interruption just after lunch, and the tea interval was prolonged by fifty-five minutes owing to a heavy shower. Throughout the day the bowlers had to contend with a wet ball, and the eleven extras included six no balls. The wicket, although greasy on the top, played well. Day 3: Ireland beat Scotland on merit in the three days international match at Glenpark, Greenock. Generally, the Irishmen were the sounder combination and in Scotland's second innings yesterday they effectively exploited their strong string of slow spin bowlers on a tricky and dry wicket, with the result that they got the Scottish side out for an indifferent score of 173.


The visitors were left with the not formidable task of scoring 107 in their second innings to win, with about two hours ' in which to do it. But Scotland put up a fighting finish. Making more use of their slow bowlers than on the previous days, they kept the Irish batsmen much subdued, and it was only a quarter of an hour before the close of play that they got the winning hit, a boundary by J. S. Pollock. After the tea interval there was a steady drizzle of rain, and immediately Ireland had passed the Scottish total, play was brought to an end. The Irish second knock realised 108 for the loss of two wickets.


In the morning Scotland disposed of the remaining three batsmen in the Irish first innings in just under an hour for a total of 326. Scotland was thus 67 in arrears when they opened their second innings. J. Aitchison was the most successful batsman, and he had a brightly played 39, but was out to a very faulty stroke. Enterprise was shown by R.S. Hodge at a critical stage in the game. He hit out boldly and his 38 included two 6s, but just when he seemed settled he was caught on the boundary.


Best of the Irish batsmen in their dosing innings was J. S. Pollock, who amassed a fine 64 not out. The outstanding bowler yesterday was R. J. Barnes, who captured four of the Scottish wickets for 18 runs.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2021 CricketArchive