|Scorecard:||Durham v Lancashire|
SummaryOne thing is for sure when you watch Lancashire play one-day cricket this season - do not anticipate a close finish. The team either perform sensationally and win by a huge margin, or they do not move out of first gear and finish the poor loser. Clearly Lancashire wanted to makes amends for the poor performance against Scotland. Put into bat in less than ideal conditions, the upper order built a steady platform. A late innings collapse left Lancashire slightly short of their desired target. However, high quality bowling and catching, combined with poor shot selection (and an injury to Martin Love) left the Durham team heading to the safe sanctuary of the home dressing after less than 27 overs of their innings.
Bowling Performance of the DayNeedless to say with such a low total, all the Lancashire bowlers returned exceptional figures. Mahmood 2 for 8, Martin 3 for 22 and Chapple 1 for 25. However, James Anderson collected 3 for 14 from 5 overs and just takes the honour.
Batting Performance of the DayBoth overseas players performed exceptionally well. Stuart Law scored 59 from 64 balls and reached 50 from just 48 balls. He dominated the bowlers immediately he reached the crease and his second scoring shot was a beautifully struck straight six. Carl Hooper scored 61 from 72 balls including 3 maximum hits. His shot selection was exemplary and quick running exciting to watch.
Fielding Performance of the DayNo issues to report. All chances were smartly taken. A special note regarding Stuart Law's catch on the deep cover boundary to dismiss Nicky Peng - He was very close to the rope, so he positioned himself side on to the ball, held a great catch and remained still enough not to carry the ball over the boundary.
Highlights of the Day
- The overall team performance following Sundays' farce. It was good to see how quickly they picked themselves up.
- Watching Durham lose 4 wickets in the space of 22 balls at the beginning of their innings, and then collapse to 26 for 6 in just the eighth over.
Lowlight of the DayWatching Lancashire lose 5 wickets for just 16 runs toward the end of their innings - the platform which the top order established was not fully exploited. Only 39 runs were amassed in the last 10 overs.
Contentious Discussion Point of the DayNothing significant to report - however, the persistent noise emanating from the building work on the ground spoilt a peaceful relaxing day. in addition to this, the wicket was heavily set to the southern side of the ground, and with poor seating arrangements it did not make for good viewing.
Key Notes of the Day
- Durham won the toss and elected to field
- Loye bowled Pretorius 1 - 7 for 1 in the 3rd over - Chilton 6*
- Chilton 16 dropped at first slip by Love - 48 for 1 in the 14th over - Law 29*
- 52 for 1 in the 15th over - Law 33* Chilton 16*
- 50 partnership posted in the 15th over - 57 for 1 - Law 38* Chilton 16*
- Law 44 dropped at first slip by Love - 64 for 1 in the 17th over
- Law 50* (2 x 6 & 6 x 4) - 76 for 1 in the 19th over - Chilton 22*
- Chilton caught Mustard bowled Harmison 22 - 76 for 2 in the 19th over
- Law caught sub (Davies) bowled Phillips 59 - 97 for 3 in the 26th over
- 105 for 3 in the 28th over - Hooper 18* Flintoff 0* - Hooper hits 6
- 50 partnership posted in the 33rd - 149 for 3 - Hooper 31* Flintoff 28*
- 150 for 3 in the 34th over - Hooper 32* Flintoff 28*
- Flintoff caught Mustard bowled Pretorius 31 - 158 for 4 in the 35th over
- Hooper 50 (2 x 4 & 2 x 6) - 180 for 4 in the 39th over - Swann 7*
- 200 for 4 in the 42nd over - Hooper 60* Swann 17*
- Hooper caught & bowled Harmison 61 - 203 for 5 in the 43rd over - Swann 18*
- Swann run out 20 - 206 for 6 in the 44th over - Chapple 1*
- Hegg bowled Killeen 4 - 215 for 7 in the 46th over - Chapple 5*
- Chapple caught Harmison bowled Pretorius 6 - 217 for 8 in the 47th over
- Martin bowled Killeen 1 - 219 for 9 in the 48th over - Mahmood 2*
- 229 for 9 from 50 overs - Mahmood 5* Anderson 7*
- Love sustained broken thumb during Lancashire innings and will not bat
- Mustard caught Flintoff bowled Anderson 0 - 1 for 1 in the 1st over (2nd ball)
- Muchall caught Chilton bowled Anderson 4 - 15 for 2 in the 3rd over - Peng 9*
- Pratt caught Hegg bowled Martin 1 - 16 for 3 in the 4th over - Peng 9*
- Lewis lbw bowled Martin (First ball) 0 - 16 for 4 in the 4th over - Peng 9*
- Pattison caught & bowled Anderson 5 - 23 for 5 in the 7th over - Peng 9*
- Phillips caught Hegg bowled Martin 1 - 26 for 6 in the 8th over - Peng 11*
- 51 for 6 in the 15th over - Peng 27* Killeen 7*
- 50 partnership 76 for 6 in the 21st over - Peng 37* Killeen 17*
- Killeen bowled Chapple 18 - 79 for 7 in the 23rd over - Peng 39*
- Peng caught Law bowled Mahmood 44 - 86 for 8 in the 27th over - Pretorius 2*
- Pretorius caught Hooper bowled Mahmood 2 - 86 for 9 in the 27th over
- Love absent injured - Harmison not out 0 - innings closed
- Lancashire win by 143 runs
Lancashire Man of the MatchCarl Hooper (just ahead of Stuart Law) - he held the innings together following Law's dismissal, his stroke play around the square was outstanding.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Neil Adams http://www.cricketimages.co.uk/adams-report/intro.html)