Born 11.2.1842 Preston.
Died 15.12.1905 Preston.
Just over 5ft. 8 inches tall and weighing a little over 12 stone, he was a middle order batsman who scores his runs quickly and a medium pace round-arm bowler.
He was the brother of Cornelius Coward (Lancashire, 1865-76).
He first played for Lancashire on their trip to London in 1867, when he played against Surrey at The Oval and M.C.C. at Lord's. He played in five further matches during 1867 and 1868, without any real success and in 1868 played one match for the United England Eleven against The All England Eleven, on the Savile Town Ground, Dewsbury.
His club cricket was for Preston, where he lived at 6 South Meadow Lane and in 1874 kept an inn. By 1880 he was at the Exchange Hotel, Fox Street, Preston.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was living at the Exchange Hotel, Fox Street, Preston, aged 38 a licensed victualler, with his wife May, aged 35, their three sons Ernest aged 10, Thomas aged 8 and Fred aged 5, and two daughters Nellie aged 6 and Grace aged one month. There is one 12 year old visitor and a domestic servant.
From 1875 he was professional at Stoneyhurst College, Hurst Green, Lancashire, where he stayed until at least 1881. He also acted as a first-class umpire from the late 1880s until 1894.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Bangladesh Women in Zimbabwe 2021/22
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Asia Qualifier A 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
- West Indies Women in Pakistan 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE