Born at Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire, 9th December 1844.
Died at Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire, 22nd September 1908.
He was first tried in the Nottinghamshire Colts match in 1863 but it was to be ten years before he first appeared in a first-class match for the county. Although he played in 22 first-class matches in all only two of them were for the county of his birth and his last first-class match was for the MCC in 1887. He professional engagements were at Birkenhead Park 1863-65, Wigan 1866, Radley College 1868-69 and at the Phoenix Park Club, Dublin 1878-1908. Most of his county cricket was for Leicestershire, before they gained first-class status, 1876-1892, and he was on the MCC groundstaff 1877-1908. He umpired regularly in first-class matches 1895-1901.
He was a baker by occupation at his native village.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was living in the Main Street, Sutton Bonnington, aged 35, a grocer and baker, with his wife Louisa, aged 38, and son George aged 11.
His unmarried brother Ernest, aged 19, a bakers assistant, is also present.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Bangladesh Women in Zimbabwe 2021/22
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Asia Qualifier A 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
- West Indies Women in Pakistan 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE