JUNIPER, John William.
Born at Southwick, Sussex, 6th February 1862.
Died at Southwick, Sussex, 20th June 1885.
Although he only had sight in one eye he played for Sussex in fifty-seven first-class matches between 1880 and 1885. In June 1885 he caught a chill whilst playing for Sussex at Cambridge, returned home where typhoid fever developed, leading to his death, at the age of 23. He was buried by the Ancient Order of Foresters, of which he was a member.
At the end of the 1885 season a match between the Gentlemen and Players of Sussex at Hove for the benefit of his widowed mother.
In the 1881 Census he is shown as resident with his widowed mother Rhoda, aged 56. He is a 19 year old labourer. Also present is Ellen Mitchell, his 26 year old widowed sister and her one year old son William T. Mitchell. There is also a lodger.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Australia in India 2022/23
- England in South Africa 2022/23
- ICC Women's Twenty20 World Cup 2022/23
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2022/23
- New Zealand in India 2022/23
- Pakistan Women in Australia 2022/23
- Singapore Women in Cambodia 2022/23
- South Africa Women's International Twenty20 Tri-Series 2022/23
- West Indies in Zimbabwe 2022/23
View all Current Events CLICK HERE