|Player:||SC Ganguly, KS More|
DateLine: 26th May 2006
Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly’s attempt to resurrect his career through a stint in the English counties has elicited a positive response from chairman of selectors, Kiran More. The former Indian stumper has said performances at the counties will be taken into account for national team selection.
Out of the Indian ODI and Test squads, the Kolkata batsman has signed a short-term contract with Northamptonshire in a bid to rescue his career, which many pundits believe has nosedived beyond repair.
After a highly-publicised row with coach Greg Chappell during a tour to Zimbabwe last year, Ganguly was thrown into ODIs wilderness. But he had held on to his Test place only to be shown the door later despite BCCI president Sharad Pawar’s seemingly favourable disposition to the former Indian captain.
Ganguly’s county deal, which came as a replacement to Australian Chris Rogers, now appears to be the last throw of the dice. Though the Northamptonshire coach and former South African captain Kepler Wessels has sounded very excited at the prospect of joining hands with Prince of Calcutta, it remains to be seen how Ganguly adopts to the vigours of county cricket. He’s after all known to be a reluctant player when it comes to playing at the lower rungs of cricket.
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE