|Event:||Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2005/06|
DateLine: 24th March 2006
The Sri Lankan cricket board on Friday gave ace off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan a car for becoming the first bowler to claim 1,000 wickets in international cricket.
A host of dignitaries, past and present Sri Lankan players and the entire Pakistan team attended a function organised by Sri Lanka Cricket here on Thursday to honour the prolific bowler.
"It is a great achievement by a Sri Lankan sportsman and as an appreciation we presented him with a car," K. Mathivanan from the Sri Lanka Cricket Interim Committee told AFP.
"A lot of past and present cricketers were present at the function and Murali certainly appreciated the gesture," he added.
Muralitharan was presented with an Indian-made Maruti Swift at the function, which was organised also to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Sri Lanka's World Cup triumph.
Arjuna Ranatunga, who led Sri Lanka to the epic victory, and other members of the team were presented with mementos.
Muralitharan claimed his 1000th international wicket during the first Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong earlier this month. His present tally stands at 600 Test and 414 one-day wickets.
Pakistan are presently touring Sri Lanka and are due to play a two-Test series starting here on Sunday. Pakistan won a preceding three-match one-day series 2-0 with one game abandoned due to rain.
(Article: Copyright © 2006 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE