DateLine: 21st February 2005
Zaheer Abbas, or the Asian Bradman as he is also known, was renowned for scoring big hundreds. Zaheer was merciless on any kind of bowling and on his day he could arguably be as good to watch as any other to have graced the game.
Wearing spectacles which made him stand out from the crowd; Zaheer was smooth and mellifluous in his strokeplay. Powerful wrists and timing of instantaneous precision meant that he would pack a punch when his bat met red leather. Zaheer’s trademark high backlift and graceful footwork can be easily compared to the elegance of a ballet-dancer.
Zaheer is the only Asian to have made a hundred hundreds in first class cricket to date. He made a century in both innings of a match a record eight times. He was the first Pakistani batsman to have scored over 4000 Test runs. He was also named Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1971.
(Article: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author only.
Copyright © 2005 Ateeq Abdul Rauf email:firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE