DateLine: 21st February 2005
Zaheer Abbas, or the Asian Bradman as he is also known, was renowned for scoring big hundreds. Zaheer was merciless on any kind of bowling and on his day he could arguably be as good to watch as any other to have graced the game.
Wearing spectacles which made him stand out from the crowd; Zaheer was smooth and mellifluous in his strokeplay. Powerful wrists and timing of instantaneous precision meant that he would pack a punch when his bat met red leather. Zaheer’s trademark high backlift and graceful footwork can be easily compared to the elegance of a ballet-dancer.
Zaheer is the only Asian to have made a hundred hundreds in first class cricket to date. He made a century in both innings of a match a record eight times. He was the first Pakistani batsman to have scored over 4000 Test runs. He was also named Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1971.
(Article: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author only.
Copyright © 2005 Ateeq Abdul Rauf email:email@example.com)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE