Scotland v Australian IF 4 & 5 July 1919
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow
Scorecard:Scotland v Australian Imperial Forces
Event:Australian Imperial Forces in British Isles 1919

DateLine: 2nd February 2013




Day 1:
The Australians entered upon the concluding match of their tour in Scotland yesterday when they met another Scottish eleven at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow. The overseas visitors looked like being in luck's way to the end so far as the weather is concerned, but unfortunately after two and a half hours play rain began to fall, and persisting the game had to be abandoned at 5.30.


This was a pity, for a good attendance there was at the West of Scotland ground, and not a little disappointment was felt when an enforced halt for good had to be called. By that time the game had reached an interesting stage, and one that suggested that unless the tail end wagged merrily the Scottish side would be left with some hope of giving a good account of itself if the batting, for instance, came up to the standard set in the first innings at Raeburn Place.


Much would depend upon that, of course. As it was seven of the Australian wickets were lost for 178 runs, and that on a wicket which seemed to play easily. But for the stand made by Taylor and Stirling for the fifth wicket, which realised fully 60 runs, the others were got rid of fairly regularly, while the first wicket put on 57.


On the Australian side two changes were made from the eleven which did duty at Edinburgh, A.W. Lampard and C.T. Docker displacing C. O'Connor and C.E. Pellow, the first named playing for the first time during the tour. The Scottish XI was as chosen.


It was a cautious start the Australians made, the first twenty runs occupying nearly twenty minutes. Nor was the run-getting at any time fast. Rather was the batting steady and good, while the bowling of Benskin and the Arbroath representative, R.W. Sievwright, did not seem to trouble them over much. Hitting, all the same, never grew free, but it was not until T.D. Watt went on to bowl that any headway was made.


Even then Trennery looked as though he would become at ease with the Watsonian's bowling, but that did not last long. Twice Trennery cut Watt strongly without getting a run, then he drove the Edinburgh man to the far boundary. In attempting a like stroke, however, Watt had the satisfaction of claiming the first wicket with the fourth ball of his first over.


It turned out a good move making the Watsonian first change bowler, for undoubtedly he caused the Australian batsmen more trouble than either the old Perthshire professional, Benskin, or Sievwright, whom Watt relieved. He kept a rare good length, and the left-hander got some work on too, as Gregory was the next to find out, the tall Australian being brilliantly taken in the slips by J.M. Tennent.


It was a lovely catch, and well merited the applause that followed it. In almost the same manner Watt had the hard hitting Collins out for a paltry two, a great stroke of business for the Scottish side.


Indeed, with three wickets down for 66 runs, and the fourth falling at 91, the home men had reason to feel pleased with them selves, until, as has been said, Taylor and Stirling got into partnership. Then there was difficulty in separating the pair. Several bowling changes were tried, but when Benskin returned once more to the attack, the fast bowler came into his own.


Taylor, for once, skied a ball, which that safe fielder, John Kerr, made sure of getting, and them the Uddingston man, A.C. Cullen, gave Colledge the opportunity to show what a smart wicketkeeper he is, the Renfrew player snapping a ball as clean as his action was quick, thereby disposing of Stirling.


There were not many signs of any centuries being put up, but there were, on the whole, a good few boundaries, mostly to either side of the wicket, where the boundary is to the short side perhaps. At its best the attendance would be about 4000.


Day 2:
When rain stopped play on Friday, the Australians in their first innings had scored 178 for seven wickets. Lampard (not out 4) and Bull (not out 18.) The afternoon on Saturday was delightful at the start, and the attendance was fully 8000.


Watt and Benskin were the bowlers, and in the former's first over Lampard narrowly escaped being thrown out by Kerr. The double century was reached in a quarter of an hour. Bull was the freer scorer, and the score mounted rapidly. Several changes were made in the bowling.


At 259 Bull was caught at cover point, off Fraser. In his 66 were eight 4's. Lampard was bowled by the same bowler five runs later. Docker and Oldfield, the former doing most of the scoring, quickly raised the total past the third century. Docker punished the bowlers, and had passed his first half century, with Oldfield at 21. The Australians' innings closed for 357, the last wicket contributing 93 runs.


The Scots opened their innings with Mannes and John Kerr, and were opposed by Lampard and Docker. In the latter's second over Mannes was caught by Taylor in the slips, the first wicket going for six runs, and Stevenson the newcomer, had only got seven when he was bowled by Lampard.


Kerr was batting carefully when he was out lbw to Lampard, and three wickets were down for 30. Fraser fell to Stirling, who had just come on to bowl, and Tennent was caught by Collins from the same bowler.


Barbour played on to his wicket to Lampard, and six wickets were down for 63. Cullen followed at 71. Benskin and Watt put a better face on matters, adding 27 for the eighth wicket. Benskin was bowled at 98.


Three runs more and Colledge tried to pull Willis to leg, and was bowled. The Scots innings closed at 113. As the hour was seven o'clock stumps were drawn, and the match ended in a draw.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2018 CricketArchive