DateLine: 28th October 2009
Former New Zealand cricket captain Stephen Fleming Wednesday ruled himself out as the new coach for the national team. New Zealand Cricket is looking for a successor following the resignation of Andy Moles at the weekend after it was revealed he had lost the confidence of the team after less than a year in the job.
Fleming's name was one of the first to be suggested by commentators as a possible successor but he scotched the speculation.
"It is not my interest to coach internationally," Fleming said on commercial radio.
"I am very happy with the business side of things I am looking to set up, and with my family life.
"I do not have the time (for coaching) and I do not have the desire."
Fleming captained New Zealand for a decade and played 111 tests and 247 one-day internationals before retiring last year. The 36-year-old is establishing a business career, as well as coaching Chennai in the Twenty20 Indian Premier League.
He also suggested it would not be appropriate to be coaching players he was playing alongside last year.
"The group of players there now are too close to my (playing) era, and also my coaching ability is unproven."
Another former captain John Wright, who coached India for five years and is currently New Zealand's high performance manager, has been suggested as a possible candidate for the job.
Former New Zealand coach and Australian wicketkeeper Steve Rixon has indicated his interest.
New Zealand Cricket has suggested it wants to get a new coach in place by the time Bangladesh tour in February.
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England in India 2016/17
- England Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- Pakistan Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- West Indies Women in India 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE