|Player:||SP Fleming, DL Vettori|
|Event:||New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2009/10|
DateLine: 26th October 2009
New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori believes former captain Stephen Fleming would make a 'wonderful' coach of the team. Vettori is going to lead the team to the United Arab Emirates for a one-day and Twenty20 series against Pakistan.
The left-arm spinner told the Sunday Star-Times that he was happy to continue as player-coach for the next couple of months, including the home-series against Pakistan next month, but after that he would prefer to see someone coming into the role. This follows the decision of Andy Moles to step down as the coach after a review process found him ill-equipped to handle this assignment.
"Stephen and I keep in regular touch and he has been quite a quite a big help in going through all this stuff and some other things that have gone on," Vettori told the newspaper.
"He has concerns about my workload and he wants to be a sounding board and do anything he can to help."
"He's definitely got coach written all over him and he could be an extremely successful one. It's just whether he wants to get back into that life of touring the world. He would make a wonderful coach."
However, New Zealand Cricket chief executive, Justin Vaughan, said," I don't think this is the right time," the newspaper quoted him saying.
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England in India 2016/17
- England Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- Pakistan Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE