|Ground:||New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg|
|Scorecard:||New Zealand v Pakistan|
|Player:||Umar Akmal, Mohammad Aamer, GD Elliott, DL Vettori, IG Butler|
|Event:||ICC Champions Trophy 2009/10|
DateLine: 3rd October 2009
New Zealand finally rid themselves of the semi-final blues, beating favoured Pakistan by five wickets to coast into the final of the Champions Trophy with deceptive ease, thanks to a fine stand between Grant Elliot (75 not out) and skipper Daniel Vettori (41).
Pakistan couldn’t capitalise on winning the toss, being unable to negotiate the New Zealand seamers and were on the backfoot from the beginning, losing their way despite a decent opening start, and falling well short of par score on the Wanderers track.
Ian Butler claimed four wickets and Vettori snared three as Pakistan were pegged back by some good bowling and fielding and injudicious shots. After a decent start, Pakistan came apart with only the veteran Mohammed Yousuf and young Umar Akmal were the only ones to impress. In fact, Pakistan needed some work from the last pair of Mohd Aamer and Saeed Ajmal to get anything like a fighting score.
New Zealand overcame their mind block about spin and negotiated Ajmal, Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik well, while the fast bowlers were also hit around, apart from Aamer. Elliot and Vettori, coming up the order, were involved in a fine 104-run stand to ensure that the Kiwis overcame some moments of doubt to make the final.
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- Digicel ODI Series 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- Sri Lanka in India 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE