|Player:||N Hussain, AJ Strauss|
|Event:||ICC Champions Trophy 2009/10|
DateLine: 29th September 2009
Former England skipper Nasser Hussain backed England skipper Andrew Strauss in his decision of denying Graeme Smith a runner during their clash.
"Andrew Strauss was right to deny Graeme Smith a runner at the climax of England's outstanding win over South Africa.
"It is down to the umpires to decide if someone can have a runner and, as I understand it, they were not happy for the South Africa captain to have one, so why should Strauss step in?" Hussain wrote in his column for 'The Daily Mail'.
"Smith had cramp, which is a fitness issue rather than an injury, and it is impossible to criticise Strauss for saying 'no'," he said.
Hussain also said that Strauss was mindful of the criticism he faced following his decision to recall Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews after a run-out in England's opening match.
"...in the build-up to Sunday's game, Strauss had been criticised publicly by his coach, Andy Flower, over his generous decision to recall Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews after a run-out.
"Strauss must have been conscious of that criticism as he weighed up the situation with Smith," he said.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE