|Player:||N Hussain, AJ Strauss|
|Event:||ICC Champions Trophy 2009/10|
DateLine: 29th September 2009
Former England skipper Nasser Hussain backed England skipper Andrew Strauss in his decision of denying Graeme Smith a runner during their clash.
"Andrew Strauss was right to deny Graeme Smith a runner at the climax of England's outstanding win over South Africa.
"It is down to the umpires to decide if someone can have a runner and, as I understand it, they were not happy for the South Africa captain to have one, so why should Strauss step in?" Hussain wrote in his column for 'The Daily Mail'.
"Smith had cramp, which is a fitness issue rather than an injury, and it is impossible to criticise Strauss for saying 'no'," he said.
Hussain also said that Strauss was mindful of the criticism he faced following his decision to recall Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews after a run-out in England's opening match.
"...in the build-up to Sunday's game, Strauss had been criticised publicly by his coach, Andy Flower, over his generous decision to recall Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews after a run-out.
"Strauss must have been conscious of that criticism as he weighed up the situation with Smith," he said.
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- West Indies in South Africa 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE