|Player:||DL Vettori, BB McCullum, JD Ryder|
|Event:||New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2009|
DateLine: 5th September 2009
New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori put his team's victory against Sri Lanka down to the opening stand between Jesse Ryder and Brendon McCullum.
Ryder smashed 52 off just 37 deliveries and McCullum made 49 off 34 and the duo got New Zealand off to a flying start with an 84-run first-wicket stand.
Then Martin Guptill chipped in with a useful 32 at the end as the Black Caps finished with a formidable 170 for four after New Zealand skipper Vettori had won a good toss in the second T20 international in Colombo.
Vettori was pleased with the all-round display from his team.
"It's been a nice turnaround from the Test matches," Vettori said. "It started from the Ryder-McCullum partnership and in a game where it's so important for the top three - especially the openers - to get off to a good start, you can't ask more from those two."
"We got off to a good start with the ball as well with Shane and Kyle putting Sri Lanka under pressure," Vettori said.
"It's always tough to recover from the loss of three big wickets earlier on, but they put us back a bit with the partnerships between Sangakkara and Jayawardene.
"Fortunately we bounced back and that was due to some great bowling by Nathan McCullum."
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE