|Ground:||Galle International Stadium, Galle|
|Scorecard:||Sri Lanka v New Zealand|
|Player:||MTT Mirando, M Muralitharan, DL Vettori|
|Event:||New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2009|
DateLine: 22nd August 2009
Sri Lanka romped home by 202 runs as they crushed a dispirited New Zealand side. The New Zealand tail battled in vain as Muralitharan proved just too much for them to resist. New Zealand, set a target of 413 runs, were bowled out for 210 in their second innings during the post-lunch session of the fifth and final day's play at the Galle International Stadium.
New Zealand began the final day with overnight batsmen, Guptill and Taylor at the crease. The Sri Lankan bowlers did not ease the pressure on the duo and the results slowly came. Thushara came round the wicket and bowled a magical ball which left Guptill clueless. From round the wicket, he swung into the batsman, which after pitching straightened just a little bit to clip the top off off-stump. McIntosh was squared up by Thushara and the edge was taken by Thilan Samaraweera at third slip.
Sangakkara in a moment of brilliance threw the ball to Jayawardene and he struck in his third ball when he coaxed Taylor to edge an innocuous leg-side ball into the gloves of Prasanna Jayawardene. Vettori and Oram tried to counter-attack their way out off trouble before Oram missed a straighter one from Mendis to be trapped leg-before.
Ryder and McCullum stayed long enough to play some attractive 20's but it was not enough to stop Lanka to crush the Kiwis.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Bangladesh Women in Pakistan 2015/16
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- Pakistan Women in West Indies and United States of America 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- West Indians in Sri Lanka 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE