|Player:||PJ Hughes, SR Watson|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 30th July 2009
In a surprising move, Australia have left out Phillip Hughes from their starting XI for the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston.
As reported in 'The Australian', the left-hander makes way for Shane Watson after having failed failed to amass any big total till now in the series.
Hughes scores have been a paltry 36, 4 and 17 at Cardiff and Lord's against hosts England, and then 10 and 68 in the recent tour match against Northamptonshire.
Whether or not Watson will open the batting or will just be a replacement is not yet decided.
Watson, who has experienced moderate success batting higher in the order for Queensland, has fared better opening the batting for the Australian one-day side.
Hughes had entered England dressing room amid much hype, following his brilliant tour of South Africa (415 runs at 69.16) and an equally successful stint with Middlesex (574 runs at 143.50).
Hughes achieved the latter feat in just five innings, including three centuries, bettering Don Bradman's impressive start to his maiden first-class stint in England - 566 runs in five innings in 1930.
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE