|Scorecard:||Lancashire v Surrey|
|Player:||PJ Horton, TC Smith, MJ Brown, CP Schofield|
DateLine: 23rd July 2009
Lancashire were successful in defending 221-7 as the Brown Caps fell short by 8 runs in NatWest Pro40 Division Two at Old Trafford.
Surrey required 12 off the last over, bowled by Tom Smith, with fourth-wicket pair Usman Afzaal and Chris Schofield at the crease.
But Schofield (12) was run out from the first delivery and then Smith followed up by cleaning up Matthew Spriegel (1) and Afzaal (26) as the visitors finished short.
The Brown Caps though looked set for victory when Michael Brown and Stewart Walters added 146 for the second wicket.
After the dismissal of Chris Murtagh (5) early in the run chase Brown (87) and Walters (63) put the Brown Caps in control at 168-1 in the 33rd over.
However, left-arm spinner Stephen Parry (2-31) removed both and as the required rate spiralled, Surrey's middle-order failed to finish the job.
Earlier while Lancashire were batting, number three Paul Horton's 84 enabled the side to reach 221-7 after the hosts had opted to make first use of a slow wicket.
Horton shared an enterprising second-wicket partnership of 129 in 24 overs with Smith (54).
However, Lancashire's hopes of a 250-plus total were squashed by the former Old Trafford favourite Schofield.
The leg-spinner, ran out Smith and then dismissed both Francois du Plessis (2) and Horton to stop the home side's acceleration in its tracks.
The leggie was given good support late in the innings by seamer Jade Dernbach (2-46) and Andre Nel, whose two wickets cost 47 runs.
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in Australia 2015/16
- India Women in Australia 2015/16
- Netherlands in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Pakistan in New Zealand 2015/16
- Scotland in Hong Kong 2015/16
- Scotland in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE