|Scorecard:||Nottinghamshire v Lancashire|
SummaryTwenty20 refers to the number of overs which a side can bat. By 5.45pm, it nearly referred to the amount of minutes which Lancashire's innings might last! - 42 for 6. A middle/ late order revival restored some pride, but a score of 120 was never likely to offer any resistance. Nottinghamshire cruised to victory without ever truly breaking into second gear. Kevin Pietersen offered the home supporters fine entertainment by scoring 58 runs from 37 balls. The most important aspect of this "second-rate" game is that it does not interfere with Lancashire's "first-class" start to the season by causing unnecessary injuries, and reducing our in form quality players to out of touch "Beach-standard" cricketers!!
Bowling Performance of the DayGlen Chapple managed 4 overs 1 for 16, and Peter Martin finished with 1 for 15. However, Nottinghamshire were not under any significant pressure to score quick runs from the first ball - hence 2 opening maiden overs (Excluding extras).
Batting Performance of the DayWarren Hegg blasted 45 runs from 35 balls (4 x 4 & 1 x 6). He showed the rest of the team how to play the game. One dreads to consider Lancashire's final total without his contribution. Together with Mark Chilton the pair added 49 for the 7th wicket.
Fielding Performance of the DayGlen Chapple and Mal Loye both made excellent diving stops on the boundary. Both dropped catches were difficult to hold. Ground fielding did not quite mange to reach the recent high standard.
Highlight of the DayWarren Hegg hit a huge six out of the ground - nothing else raised a smile.
Lowlights of the Day
- After just 10 minutes play, the game was "Dead & buried". Very disappointing for the large crowd - very disappointing for the visiting supporters.
- Glen Chapple's run out - talk about icing on the cake!
Contentious Discussion Point of the DayNothing contentious to report although Lancashire's batting order was the main topic of discussion - everyone has a different opinion!
Key Notes of the Day
- Nottinghamshire won the toss and elected to bowl
- Law bowled Logan 2 - 4 for 1 in the 1st over - Loye 1*
- Loye caught Gallian bowled Logan 1 - 6 for 2 in the 1st over - Schofield 0*
- Hooper caught Shafayat bowled Smith 8 - 19 for 3 in the 4th over - Schofield 5*
- Sutcliffe lbw bowled Logan 0 - 23 for 4 in the 5th over - Schofield 5*
- Schofield stumped Noon bowled Clough 14 - 35 for 5 in the 7th over - Chilton 1*
- Chapple run out 4 (Poor running) - 42 for 6 in the 9th over - Chilton 4*
- 50 for 6 in the 11th over - Hegg 4* Chilton 8*
- Chilton stumped Noon bowled MacGill 23 - 91 for 7 in the 16th over - Hegg 28*
- 100 for 7 in the 18th over - Hegg 33* Hogg 4*
- Hogg caught Welton bowled Logan 7 - 115 for 8 in the 19th over - Hegg 44*
- Mahmood lbw bowled Logan 0 - 116 for 9 in the 19th over - Hegg 45*
- Hegg bowled MacGill 45 - 120 all out from 19.2 overs - Martin 4*
- Gallian 1 dropped caught & bowled chance to Martin (Extremely difficult)
- 16 for 0 in the 6th over - Afzaal 9* - Martin sustained injury
- Afzaal bowled Mahmood (Played-on) 9 - 22 for 1 in the 7th over - Gallian 7*
- 52 for 1 in the 11th over - Pietersen 18* Gallian 17*
- 50 partnership - 73 for 1 in the 13th over - Pietersen 31*Gallian 24*
- Gallian caught Hegg bowled Chapple 29 - 82 for 2 in the 14th over - Pietersen 40*
- 50 Pietersen from 30 balls (8 x 4 & 1 x 6) - 99 for 2 in the 16th over - Welton 2*
- 100 for 2 from 16 overs - Pietersen 50* Welton 3*
- Welton 4 dropped Sutcliffe - 108 for 2 in the 17th over - Pietersen 55*
- Pietersen bowled Martin 58 - 112 for 3 in the 18th over - Welton 7*
- 124 for 3 from 19.1 overs - Welton 11* Shafayat 8*
- Nottinghamshire won by 7 wickets
Lancashire Man of the MatchWarren Hegg salvaged some pride for Lancashire by scoring 45 runs. His innings ensured the game lasted past 7pm!
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Neil Adams http://www.cricketimages.co.uk/adams-report/intro.html)