Born at Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire, 9th December 1844.
Died at Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire, 22nd September 1908.
He was first tried in the Nottinghamshire Colts match in 1863 but it was to be ten years before he first appeared in a first-class match for the county. Although he played in 22 first-class matches in all only two of them were for the county of his birth and his last first-class match was for the MCC in 1887. He professional engagements were at Birkenhead Park 1863-65, Wigan 1866, Radley College 1868-69 and at the Phoenix Park Club, Dublin 1878-1908. Most of his county cricket was for Leicestershire, before they gained first-class status, 1876-1892, and he was on the MCC groundstaff 1877-1908. He umpired regularly in first-class matches 1895-1901.
He was a baker by occupation at his native village.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was living in the Main Street, Sutton Bonnington, aged 35, a grocer and baker, with his wife Louisa, aged 38, and son George aged 11.
His unmarried brother Ernest, aged 19, a bakers assistant, is also present.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- India in Zimbabwe 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE