TYLECOTE, Edward Ferdinando Sutton.
Born at Marston Mortain Rectory, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, 23rd June 1849.
Died at New Hunstanton, Norfolk, 15th March 1938.
He was the son of the Rev. Canon T. Tylecote, of Marston Mortain, Bedfordshire, and the brother of Henry Grey Tylecote (Oxford University). He was educated at Clifton College, where he was a member of the cricket eleven 1864-68, being captain in 1868. He went up to St Johnís College, Oxford, and played cricket for the University 1869-72, winning his blue all four years, and being captain 1871 and 1872. He played for Kent in 22 matches 1875-83 and in all played in 93 first-class matches including 6 Test Matches. He toured Australia in 1882/3. He also played cricket for Bedfordshire (1870-77). He gained 1st classes in Mods. and Greats, and won the University Junior Mathematical Scholarship, being Fereday Fellow for many years. He became the Mathematical Tutor, at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich 1875-95, and taught at a number of preparatory schools. In his later years he became a keen collector of butterflies and left his collection to the Museum at Oxford.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was visiting Elstree School, where his brothers Charles B.L. and Henry G. were schoolmasters, aged 31, unmarried, an instructor in mathematics, teacher. Vernon R.F.A. Royle was also a schoolteacher at Elstree at this time.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE