SMITH, Robert Posnett.
Born at Sawley, Derbyshire, 1st November 1848.
Died at Staunton Grange, near Newark, Nottinghamshire, 1st May 1899.
Educated at Castle Donnington School, Leicestershire, he is described in Scores and Biographies as a gentleman farmer. He first appeared for Derbyshire in 1871, his debut in first-class cricket, in which he was to appear 103 times, ninety of them for Derbyshire, who he captained 1876-83. He also played in a couple of minor matches for Nottinghamshire. In 1885 he inherited a large estate on condition he changed his name to STEVENS.
The 1881 Census finds him resident at East End, Sawley, Derbyshire, aged 32, a farmer of 50 acres, employing one labourer, with his wife Sarah P., aged 38, born at Nottingham. Also present is his brother John Stevens Smith, unmarried, aged 24. There is one domestic servant.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- West Indies in South Africa 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE