SMITH, Robert Posnett.
Born at Sawley, Derbyshire, 1st November 1848.
Died at Staunton Grange, near Newark, Nottinghamshire, 1st May 1899.
Educated at Castle Donnington School, Leicestershire, he is described in Scores and Biographies as a gentleman farmer. He first appeared for Derbyshire in 1871, his debut in first-class cricket, in which he was to appear 103 times, ninety of them for Derbyshire, who he captained 1876-83. He also played in a couple of minor matches for Nottinghamshire. In 1885 he inherited a large estate on condition he changed his name to STEVENS.
The 1881 Census finds him resident at East End, Sawley, Derbyshire, aged 32, a farmer of 50 acres, employing one labourer, with his wife Sarah P., aged 38, born at Nottingham. Also present is his brother John Stevens Smith, unmarried, aged 24. There is one domestic servant.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE