Born at Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, 21st November 1858.
Died at Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, 5th June 1912.
He first went out as a professional with the Huyton Club, near Liverpool, in 1877, and in 1879 he commenced a ten year engagement with the Sefton Club, Liverpool. During his time there he was selected to play for Nottinghamshire ten times in first-class matches 1881-85 and for Lancashire in one match in 1886, in which year he also played for Herefordshire. During his time in Liverpool he also played twice for the Liverpool & District team. It was on the advice of his doctor that he left the West coast and he moved to Norfolk in 1889 and stayed there until 1901, being the mainstay of that county’s bowling. His home address throughout his time in Liverpool is given as 56 Union Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield.
No sign of him could be found in the 1881 Census but there is a George SHAW, an unmarried frame work knitter aged 22, who was living with his father George, also a frame work knitter, aged 51, and mother Elizabeth, aged 50, at Quarry Yard, Sutton-in-Ashfield. Could this be the same man?
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in New Zealand 2015/16
- UAE Associates Matches 2015/16
- West Indies in Australia 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE