Born at Coddington, Nottinghamshire, 6th March 1857.
Died at Cossall, Nottinghamshire, 25th January 1899.
He was a lace machine fitter he lived with his family at Wollaton and was first tried by Nottinghamshire in 1878. He played in 29 matches for them between then and 1884. His first professional engagement was for the Bolton Club, in Lancashire, in 1882 and from 1883 until 1888 he was on The Oval ground staff and from 1885 until 1887 he played in seven first-class matches for Surrey. He played in a total of 43 first-class matches. While engaged in London he lived at Croydon. His brother John also played for Nottinghamshire 1875-81.
The 1881 Census finds him living at Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, with his father John, aged 60, a wood salesman at a saw mills, and his mother Annie aged 60. Edwin is present, aged 24 and a lace machine fitter, as are his brothers William aged 30, a sawyer, and John aged 26, a joiner. His four unmarried sisters are Sarah aged 32, a dressmaker, Frances aged 20, a lace sewing machinist, Julia aged 18, a milliner, and Lizzie aged 17, a lace sewing machinist.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE