Born at Kimberley, Nottinghamshire, 25th July 1852.
Died at Haverford College, Philadelphia, U.S.A., 31st July 1917.
He first went out as a professional cricketer in 1875 when he was at the Bedford Grammar School. 1876 and 1877 he was at the Plymouth Garrison and in 1878 with the Royal Engineers at Chatham. He was in America 1879 and 1880, with the Staten Island C.C. He was in England in 1881 and was called upon by Nottinghamshire for three first-class matches. This was at a time when most of the Nottinghamshire professionals were on strike. He was back with Staten Island 1882-84, with Philadelphia 1885-89 and with Staten Island again 1890-91. He played eleven further first-class matches while in the U.S.A. for Players of the USA and the English Residents Eleven. He owned a sports outfitting shop at Haverford, Philadelphia.
His brother John was prominent in Nottinghamshire club cricket and his brother Moses was also a cricket professional in the USA.
There is no sign of him in the 1881 Census.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- Sri Lanka in India 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE