GREEN, Charles Ernest.
Born at Walthamstow, Essex, 26th August 1846.
Died at Theydon Grove, Epping, Essex, 4th December 1916.
The son of H. Green of Walthamstow, he was educated at Uppingham School, where he was a member of the cricket eleven 1859-64, being captain in his last year. He went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, and represented the University at cricket 1865-68, being captain in 1868, and won a blue for athletics and was Amateur Champion at the high jump in 1867. He played in 94 first-class matches, including one for Sussex and 33 for Middlesex. He played for Essex before the became a first-class county, 1862-91, being captain 1883-88, Chairman 1886-1912 and President 1913. He was President of M.C.C. 1905. He was a noted huntsman and was Master of the Essex Foxhounds for many years.
A shipowner, he was living at Theydon Grove, Epping, Essex, 1894-1905.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was living at Gravel Lane Turnours, Chigwell, Essex, aged 34, and a ship owner for Naval Service (on shore), with his wife Jane M. aged 30. Also present are his sister-in-law, Helen E. Upton, aged 22, and visitors Mary J. Hutchinson, aged 24 and Arthur E. Guillemard, solicitor, aged 34, all unmarried. There are seven domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- Sri Lanka in India 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE