GILBERT, Walter Raleigh.
Born at Strand, London, 16th September 1853.
Died at Calgary, Canada, 26th July 1924.
His half-brother G.H.B.Gilbert played in two first-class matches for Middlesex, before emigrating to Australia, where he played twelve times for New South Wales 1855-75 and was captain of that State. They were cousins of the Grace brothers.
Walter played in 175 first-class matches, including nine for Middlesex and 108 for Gloucestershire and toured Australia with W.G.Grace’s team in 1873/4. In 1886 there was a scandal involving missing items from dressing rooms and he emigrated to Canada.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was resident at The Chestnuts, Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire the home of Martha Grace a 68 year old widow and an annuitant. Also living there is her 42 year old unmarried daughter, Fanny. There are two domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- India in Zimbabwe 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE