|Scorecard:||Australia v Zimbabwe|
- This was the 1663rd Test in cricket history.
- The catch of Tatenda Taibu in first innings was 200th wicketkeeping dismissal for Adam Gilchrist. He became third Australian after Ian Healy (395 dismissals in 119 Tests) and Rodney Marsh (355 dismissals in 96 Tests) and tenth keeper overall to reach this milestone.
- By taking 47 Tests to accomplish this feat, Gilchrist became the quickest to aggregate 200 dismissals in Test cricket. The previous record was held by South Africa’s Mark Boucher who achieved this landmark in his 52nd Test.
- Ray Price’s figures of six for 121 were the best for Zimbabwe against Australia. He obliterated the previous best of five for 93 by Heath Streak at Harare in 1999-00.
- Matthew Hayden after scoring world record 380 in the first Test, scored 20 & 101 in this Test to take his aggregate to 501 in the series. He became third Australian after Don Bradman and Doug Walters and 11th batsman in Test history to aggregate 500 runs in two consecutive Tests.
- Hayden also became only the fourth batsman in Test chronicles to aggregate 500 runs in a two-match Test series after Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya, England’s Wally Hammond and Zimbabwean Andy Flower. The details :
Runs Batsman For Vs Series Inns NO Ave Hs 100 50 571 ST Jayasuriya SL* Ind 1997-98 3 0 190.33 340 2 0 0 563 WR Hammond Eng NZ* 1932-33 2 1 563.00 336* 2 0 0 540 A Flower Zim Ind* 2000-01 4 2 270.00 232* 2 2 0 501 ML Hayden Aus* Zim 2003-04 3 1 250.50 380 2 0 0 * Series venue
- Hayden completed his hundred with a six off Ewing in second innings. This was the second occasion Hayden was reaching the three figure mark with a six. The earlier occasion was against Pakistan at Sharjah in last season when Hayden lifted leg-spinner Danish Kaneria for a mighty six to complete his hundred. Hayden became first Australian and eighth batsman in Test cricket history to reach his hundred with a six on more than one occasion. The list is headed by England’s Ken Barrington and India’s Sachin Tendulkar with four such instances, followed by Sri Lanka’s Aravinda de Silva (thrice) and England’s Ian Botham, Pakistan’s Imran Khan, West Indies’ Desmond Haynes and Ridley Jacobs and ….Australia’s Matthew Hayden.
Australian batsmen reaching hundred with a six
Batsman (Score) Bowler Vs Venue Season Joe Darling (178) Johnny Briggs Eng Adelaide 1897-98 John Benaud (142) Intikhab Alam Pak Melbourne 1972-73 Keith Stackpole (142) Maurice Foster WI Kingston 1972-73 Doug Walters (103) Bob Willis Eng Perth 1974-75 Ian Davis (105) Salim Altaf Pak Adelaide 1976-77 Rick McCosker (107) Bob Willis Eng Nottingham 1977 Greg Matthews (115) Vaughan Brown NZ Brisbane 1985-86 J Langer (115) Claude Henderson SA Adelaide 2001-02 R Ponting (100*) Paul Adams SA Cape Town 2001-02 ML Hayden (119) Danish Kaneria Pak Sharjah 2002-03 RT Ponting (150) Saqlain Mushtaq Pak Sharjah 2002-03 SR Waugh (103*) Danish Kaneria Pak Sharjah 2002-03 ML Hayden (101*) Gavin Ewing Zim Sydney 2003-04
- At the end of the series :
Australia’s overall Test record : played 644, won 289, lost 174, drawn 179 and tied 2.
Zimbabwe’s overall Test record : played 69, won 7, lost 39, drawn 23.
Steve Waugh’s captaincy record : played 53, won 40, lost 8, drawn 5.
Heath Streak’s captaincy record : played 17, won 3, lost 10, drawn 4.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Rajneesh Gupta)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE