|Player:||Shoaib Akhtar, Sohail Tanvir|
DateLine: 8th September 2007
Pakistan have asked for rookie all-rounder Sohail Tanvir to replace Shoaib Akhtar for the Twenty20 world championships starting here on Tuesday.
Pace spearhead Akhtar, returning to the Pakistani team after missing the World Cup in March due to injury, was ordered back home after a bust-up with new-ball partner Mohammad Asif at practice here on Thursday.
Pakistan have picked 22-year-old Tanvir as Akhtar's replacement and have applied to the International Cricket Council for approval, team sources told AFP on Saturday.
Tanvir, who hails from Rawalpindi, has yet to play an international match but has taken 65 wickets in 19 first-class games over the last three years.
A left-arm seamer and left-handed batsman, Tanvir also has a first-class century to his credit and is regarded as one of Pakistan's most promising juniors.
Pakistan, drawn in group D of the preliminary league, open their campaign on Wednesday against Scotland in Durban before meeting arch-rivals India on Friday at the same venue.
(Article: Copyright © 2007 AFP)
- England in India 2020/21
- England in Sri Lanka 2020/21
- ICC Women's World Cup 2020/21
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- India Women in Australia 2020/21
- Nepal in Qatar 2020/21
- New Zealand in Australia 2020/21
- Pakistan Women in South Africa 2020/21
- Pakistan Women in Zimbabwe 2020/21
- South Africa in Pakistan 2020/21
- West Indies in Bangladesh 2020/21
View all Current Events CLICK HERE