|Scorecard:||Lancashire v Leicestershire|
Summary for Day 3Virender Sehwag's dismissal 9 overs before the close of play summed up Leicestershire's performance from the first ball of the match - running scared and clueless. Compared to Lancashire's superb all round performance - the gulf between the teams is equivalent to men versus boys. Leicestershire's application and attitude towards the game is simply atrocious. They deserve to lose. They deserve to be relegated. Lancashire stuck well to the task in hand today, especially when the morning session passed without success, and the opening partnership of Leicestershire's second innings added 81 in excellent playing conditions and without the services of the injured Peter Martin. With the weather forecast looking favourable for the last day, Lancashire can look forward to collecting maximum points and sending the visitors home with their tail between their legs.
Bowling Performance of the DayGary Keedy captured 3 first innings wickets, and 1 second innings wicket during the course of the day. He regularly tossed the ball up above the level of the batsmans eye line and extracted useful occasional turn. Carl Hooper collected 3 late wickets in the day including Brad Hodge leg before wicket to the ugliest shot of the day (pulling across the line)
Batting Performance of the DayDarren Maddy and Darren Stevens added 122 for the 5th wicket. A rare time during the match when Leicestershire showed any spirit. Together, the pair batted through the morning session without offering a single opportunity.
Fielding Performance of the DayGlen Chapple held a super over the shoulder catch running from mid-on to remove Brignull. However, this catch was superseded by Mark Chilton, who held a skied opportunity from the bat of DeFreitas at deep square leg. The ball stayed in the air an enormous amount of time due to the height which it travelled up. The same player was involved in the crucial run out of Sehwag. He moved swiftly from point to backward point and threw the ball over the top of the stumps.
Highlights of the Day
- Dismissing Leicestershire for 314 and enforcing the follow-on
- The run out of Sehwag in the 30th over of Leicestershire's second innings - a truly suicidal run (and it was Sehwag's call)
- Watching Brad Hodge lose his temper with the pile of sawdust on his way back to the pavilion following his dismissal.
Lowlight of the DaySajid Mahmood dropped Paul Nixon in the 7th over with the score on 32. The ball came straight to him at a comfortable height. At the time, Lancashire were in urgent need of a breakthrough.
Contentious Discussion Point of the DayDeFreitas was clearly out caught behind by Warren Hegg with the score on 290 for 7. He should have walked, he knew he was out despite a shrug of the shoulders to the Lancashire captain. The only poor decision of the game in fairness to the umpires.
Key Notes of the Day
- Play delayed until 11.40am due to overnight and early morning rain
- 150 for 4 in the 47th over - Maddy 38* Stevens 21*
- 50 partnership - 169 for 4 in the 51st over - Maddy 46* Stevens 29*
- 50 Maddy from 119 balls (7 x 4) - 173 for 4 in the 52nd over - Stevens 29*
- 203 for 4 in the 56th over - Maddy 64* Stevens 45*
- 50 Stevens from 65 balls (8 x 4 & 1 x 6) - 211 for 4 in the 58th over - Maddy 65*
- 100 partnership - 217 for 4 in the 58th over - Maddy 71* Stevens 52*
- Lunch 228 for 4 from 61 overs - Maddy 78* Stevens 56* - Session 11 for 0 from 25 overs
- Maddy caught Law bowled Keedy 85 - 238 for 5 in the 66th over - Stevens 59*
- Stevens caught Law bowled Chapple 65 - 246 for 6 in the 69th over - Snape 2*
- Nixon caught Hegg bowled Chapple 0 - 246 for 7 in the 71st over - Snape 2*
- 250 for 7 in the 71st over - Snape 2* DeFreitas 4*
- DeFreitas dropped Hegg 9 - 270 for 7 in the 79th over - Snape 17*
- DeFreitas caught Hegg bowled Mahmood 15 - 290 for 7 - Decision not given by umpire
- DeFreitas caught Chilton bowled Mahmood 16 - 294 for 8 in the 83rd over - Snape 26*
- 300 for 8 in the 85th over - Snape 30* Brignull 0*
- Snape bowled Keedy 31 (Behind legs) - 303 for 9 in the 86th - Brignull 1*
- Brignull caught Chapple bowled 5 - 314 all out in the 94th over - Dagnall 5*
- Lancashire lead by 189 runs - Follow-on enforced - 36 overs remaining
- Nixon 11 dropped by Mahmood (Long-leg) - 32 for 0 in the 7th over- Maunders 18*
- 50 for 0 in the 12th over - Maunders 20* Nixon 23*
- Nixon bowled Keedy 32 - 81 for 1 in the 22nd over - Maunders 37* - Trail by 108
- Maunders caught Hegg bowled Hooper 39 - 83 for 2 in the 25th over - Maddy 0*
- Sehwag run out (Chilton/Hegg) 5 - 99 for 3 in the 30th over - Maddy 11*
- 101 for 3 in the 31st over - Hodge 2* Maddy 11*
- Hodge lbw bowled Hooper 14 - 126 for 4 in the 37th over - Maddy 16*
- Masters caught Loye bowled Hooper 0 - 130 for 5 in the 39th over - Maddy 18*
- 5th wicket taken on the last ball of the day - Leicestershire trail by 59 runs
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Neil Adams http://www.cricketimages.co.uk/adams-report/intro.html)