Born at Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, 27th May 1852.
Died at Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire, 24th March 1899.
He took his first professional engagement at the age of nineteen with the garrison at Winchester, then in 1873 with the Victoria Park Club, Leicester. In 1874 and 1875 he was at Trent Bridge with Nottingham Amateurs and while there came to the attention of the County Club. Playing for Nottinghamshire from 1875 until 1894 he appeared in 257 matches. He played in 459 first-class matches in all, including 21 Test Matches, making three trips to Australia and one to North America.
From 1895 to 1898 he remained on the M.C.C. ground staff, at Lordís and stood as umpire in a few matches. He wintered at the Angel Inn, Mansfield Woodhouse, where he was landlord and where he died.
The 1881 Census shows him as a cotton weaver, aged 28, living in Stoney Street, Sutton-in Ashfield, with his wife Eliza, aged 24, who was also born in Sotton-in-Ashfield.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- England in Pakistan 2021/22
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE