|Scorecard:||India v Kenya|
- Ravindu Shah (on 3) became the fourth Kenyan to aggregate 1000 runs in ODIs. He became fourth Kenyan after Steve Tikolo (1545 runs from 57 matches), Kennedy Obuya (1366 from 55) and Maurice Odumbe (1239 from 56). At the end of this match, Shah has aggregated 1031 from 39 matches.
- The partnership of 75 runs between Kennedy Obuya and Ravindu Shah was Kenya’s best for the first wicket in World Cup. The same pair had put on 66 runs against South Africa at Amsterdam in the 1999 World Cup.
- Kennedy Obuya’s score of 79 is the highest score by a keeper against India in the World Cup. Zimbabwean Andy Flower had made 68 not out at Leicester in 1999 World Cup.
- The wicket of Collins Obuya was 100th for Javagal Srinath in 79 day-night matches. He became second Indian after Anil Kumble (124 wickets from 97 matches) and 11th bowler overall to complete his century of wickets in matches under flood lights. Incidentally Australia’s Shane Warne with 156 wickets from 104 matches holds the ODI record.
- Javagal Srinath (309 wickets in 225 matches) is now the highest wicket taker for India in ODIs. He went past the tally of 308 wickets (in 241 matches) by Anil Kumble.
- The partnership of 84 runs between Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid was India’s best for the fourth wicket against Kenya bettering the previous best of 41 (unbeaten) between Virender Sehwag and Yuvraj Singh at Paarl in 2001.
- The unbeaten 118 run-partnership between Ganguly and Yuvraj was India’s best for the fifth wicket against Kenya bettering the previous best of 55 runs between Ajay Jadeja and Vijay Bharadwaj at Nairobi Gymkhana in 1999.
- The above partnership was the best by any team against Kenya for the fifth wicket in ODIs. South Africans Hansie Cronje and Jonty Rhodes had put on 101 at Nairobi Gymkhana in 1996. The pair obviously bettered the previous record stand for the fifth wicket in World Cup. Zimbabweans Alistair Campbell and Andy Flower had put on 66 runs at Taunton in 1999 World Cup.
- This was the 50th time that Ganguly was getting involved in a century partnership. The break-up : 25 times for first wicket, 13 for second, 6 for third, 3 for fourth and one each for fifth, sixth and seventh. He became only second batsman in all ODIs after fellow teammate Sachin Tendulkar to do so. Tendulkar has so far appeared in 56 century partnerships.
- This was Ganguly’s 21st hundred in 225 matches. Now only Tendulkar (34) has scored more hundreds in ODIs. Ganguly went past the tally of 20 hundreds by Pakistani Saeed Anwar.
- This was also Ganguly’s 10th hundred as captain in 96 matches. He equals the ODI record held by Jayasuriya, who also has 10 hundreds in 112 matches as captain.
- Yuvraj has now scored 12 half centuries and on 11 occasions, India have won. Seven of these innings have come while chasing.
- India have now won five matches in a row in this tournament which equals India’s best run in the World Cup. In the 1987 World Cup India had won five matches in a row from 14-10-1987 to 31-10-1987.
- This was Ganguly’s 27th man of the match award of his career in 225 matches and his 3rd in the World Cup in 14 matches.
- Ganguly’s award winning hundred came after a long gap of 27 months. The last time Ganguly scored a hundred and won Man-of-the-Match award too was against Zimbabwe at Ahmedabad on 05-12-2000 when he scored 144 off 152 balls. Ganguly made four hundreds after that innings but his performance did not bring him the MoM award.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Rajneesh Gupta)