|Ground:||Lord's Cricket Ground, St John's Wood|
|Event:||Pakistan in British Isles 2006|
DateLine: 13th July 2006
Matthew Hoggard was included in England's team for the first Test against Pakistan at Lord's here Thursday after overcoming a freak hand injury.
The swing specialist, ever-present in England's last 32 Tests, sustained a bizarre injury to his right, bowling, hand when it was trodden on by Yorkshire colleague Tim Bresnan while the pair were warming-up on Saturday during the A team's draw against Pakistan at Canterbury.
But Hoggard, who had stitches inserted into his hand, bowled with a cricket ball during practice at Lord's on Wednesday and the Ashes-winning 29-year-old has now been cleared to play in what is the first match of a four Test series.
England omitted Jon Lewis and Sajid Mahmood from their 13-man squad after the injury-hit hosts were without the Ashes-winning quartet of captain Michael Vaughan (knee), all-rounder Andrew Flintoff (ankle), fast bowler Simon Jones (knee) and left-arm spinner Ashley Giles (hip).
Andrew Strauss, who led the side in their 5-0 one-day series defeat, beacame England's 77th Test captain with the opening batsman skippering the side on his Middlesex home ground.
Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Geraint Jones (wkt), Liam Plunkett, Matthew Hoggard, Stephen Harmison, Monty Panesar.
(Article: Copyright © 2006 AFP)
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Asia Qualifier A 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE