|Scorecard:||Lancashire v Leicestershire|
Summary for Day 4Spectator discussion before the start of play centered around the estimated time at which the game would conclude. The option for a draw, or a defeat never passed anyone's lips - and rightly so. Lancashire showed no mercy to the visitors. They wrapped up a first class victory in just 2 hours play. Leicestershire showed very little resistance - Maddy aside. Lancashire consolidated their position in second place of the division one table, moving onto the shoulder of pace setters Surrey.
Bowling Performance of the DayThe honour was shared between Gary Keedy and Carl Hooper. Their two contrasting styles of spin bowling caused Leicestershire's batsmen terrible trouble. The odd ball turning and bouncing significantly. Hooper finished with 5 for 52 and Keedy finished with 4 for 61.
Batting Performance of the DayOnce again, only Darren Maddy showed any pride or application. He scored 48 runs (133 in the game).
Fielding Performance of the DayThe stumping of Darren Maddy by Warren Hegg from the bowling of Carl Hooper. Hegg was extremely nimble and his reactions exceptionally fast.
Highlight of the DayLancashire's ruthless approach to the days play - the victory - collecting maximum points (22) and closing the gap to 6 points at the top of the table.
Lowlight of the DayIn beautiful weather conditions the game ended at 1pm - A good size crowd would have preferred the entertainment to last slightly longer.
Contentious Discussion Point of the DayNothing to report.
Key Notes of the Day
- Stevens caught Law bowled Keedy 6 - 147 for in the 44th over - Maddy 29*
- 153 for in the 45th over - Maddy 33* Snape 2*
- Maddy 43 dropped Chilton (Sharp chance) - 181 for 6 in the 55th over - Snape 18*
- 191 for 6 in the 59th over - Maddy 48* Snape 23* - Lead by 2 runs 11.40am
- Maddy stumped Hegg bowled Hooper 48 - 191 for 7 in the 61st over - Snape 23*
- Snape caught Sutcliffe bowled Keedy 26 - 199 for 8 in the 66th over - DeFreitas 2*
- 200 for 8 in the 68th over - DeFreitas 2* Brignull 1* - Lead by 11 runs
- DeFreitas 8 dropped Hegg (Tough chance) - 206 for 8 in the 72nd over - Brignull 2*
- DeFreitas caught Martin bowled Keedy 9 - 208 for 9 in the 72nd over - Brignull 2*
- Brignull bowled Hooper 6 - 212 all out in the 73rd over - Dagnall 0* - 12.37pm
- Leicestershire lead by 23 runs - 24 runs required 18 minutes to luncheon interval
- Lancashire score 4 runs from 2nd ball of the last over before lunch to reach
- 24 for 0 in the 9th over - Chilton 16* Sutcliffe 5* Extras 3.
- Lancashire 22 points beat Leicestershire 5 points by wickets
Lancashire Man of the MatchCarl Hooper for his 74 runs, 5 wickets and 1 catch.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Neil Adams http://www.cricketimages.co.uk/adams-report/intro.html)