|Scorecard:||Canada v Kenya|
- History was created when Kenya played three brothers in this match – Kennedy (Otieno), David and Collins Obuya. This was only the second such occasion in World Cup. New Zealand had fielded three Hadlee brothers (Dayle, Richard and Barry) against England at Leeds in 1975 World Cup.
- Ian Billcliff (71) became the first Canadian batsman to score a fifty in ODIs. The previous highest individual score for Canada was the 45 by Glen Sealy against Pakistan at Leeds in 1979.
- The fourth wicket partnership of 86 runs between Billcliff and Joe Harris is Canada’s highest ever for any wicket in ODIs. This obliterates the 54 run-stand for the first wicket between Chris Chappell and Glen Sealy against Pakistan at Leeds in 1979. Incidentally, the previous record stand for the fourth wicket for Canada was a paltry 22 between the same pair of Billcliff and Harris against Bangladesh at Durban in this World Cup.
- The eighth wicket partnership of 24 runs between Ashish Bagai and Sanjay Thuraisingam is Canada’s best for this wicket in ODIs beating the previous highest of 12 between the same pair of Bagai and Thuraisingam against Bangladesh at Durban in this World Cup.
- The tenth wicket partnership of 11 runs between Austin Codrington and Davis Joseph is the highest ever recorded by any team against Kenya. The pair surpasses the previous highest of seven runs between India’s Nilesh Kulkarni and Venkatesh Prasad at Gwalior in 1998.
- Canada (197) recorded their highest total in the ODIs. The previous highest was 180 they made against Bangladesh at Durban in this World Cup.
- Thomas Odoyo (4-28) recorded the best bowling figures of his career. He was playing in his 53rd match. His previous best was the 3 for 25 against Pakistan at Nairobi in 1996.
- Odoyo's figures were the third best by a Kenyan bowler in ODIs. Only Aasif Karim (5-23 v Bangladesh at Nairobi in 1997) and Martin Suji (4-24 v Bangladesh at Nairobi in 1997) have achieved better figures than Odoyo.
- Odoyo followed his best bowling performance with a gritty 27 not out later in Kenyan innings. He became the first all-rounder to capture 4 wickets and score 25 runs or more in the same match for Kenya
- Kenya's Ravindu Shah, by scoring 61, has achieved the distinction of registering the highest individual score against Canada in ODIs. The previous highest individual score against Canada was Pakistan’s Sadiq Mohammad’s unbeaten 57 at Leeds in 1979.
- This was Kenya’s first win in last 13 matches. They had last beaten India at Port Elizabeth by 70 runs in 2001. Overall this was Kenya's ninth win in 54 ODI matches.
- Thomas Odoyo became only the third Kenyan player to win Man of the Match award in World Cup after Maurice Odumbe (twice in 1996 and 1999) and Steve Tikolo (in 1999).
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Rajneesh Gupta)
- England in India 2020/21
- England in Sri Lanka 2020/21
- ICC Women's World Cup 2020/21
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- India Women in Australia 2020/21
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2020/21
- New Zealand in Australia 2020/21
- Pakistan Women in South Africa 2020/21
- South Africa in Pakistan 2020/21
- West Indies in Bangladesh 2020/21
View all Current Events CLICK HERE