|Scorecard:||Bangladesh v Canada|
- Canada was making a comeback into international cricket after a gap of more than 23 years. They had last played in 1979 World Cup. They played three matches then and had lost all three.
- All the 11 Canadian players were making their debut in this match. This provided the first instance of all eleven players making their debut in a match, which was not their country’s first match in One-Day Internationals.
- This was the first meeting between these two sides.
- Canada's total of 180 runs is their highest in ODIs. Their previous highest was the 139-9 in 60 overs against Pakistan at Leeds in 1979.
- The partnership of 23 runs between Desmond Chumney and Ian Billcliff is Canada's best for the third wicket bettering the previous best of 18 runs by FA Dennis and MP Stead against Pakistan at Leeds in 1979.
- The 26-run partnership between Ian Billcliff and Abdul Sattaur is Canada's best for the sixth wicket eclipsing the previous best of 19 (recorded twice) - by CA Marshall and BM Mauricette against Pakistan at Leeds and by BM Mauricette and JCB Vaughan against Australia at Birmingham in 1979.
- The partnership of 21 runs between Austin Codrington and Davis Joseph is Canada's best for the tenth wicket bettering the previous best of 3 run between JM Patel and JN Valentine against England at Manchester in 1979.
- The above partnership is also the best by any team against Bangladesh for the tenth wicket in all one-dayers . This obliterated the previous best of 13 between Muttiah Muralitharan and JC Gamage for Sri Lanka at Sharjah in 1995.
- Austin Codrington returned with 5 for 27 from nine overs. He became only the fifth bowler in one-day history to claim five wickets in a match on debut after Australia’s Tony Dodemaide, Sri Lanka’s Uvais Karnain and Buddhika Fernando and South Africa’s Allan Donald. His figures are the third best by any bowler making his debut.
- Codrington's figures are now the best by a Canadian bowler in ODIs bettering the previous best being the 2-27 by CC Henry against Australia at Birmingham in 1979. This was also the best bowling performance against Bangladesh in a WC match. The previous best was the 5-35 by Pakistani Saqlain Mushtaq at Northampton in 1999.
- Delhi born Ashish Bagai took three catches behind the stumps. He became ninth 'keeper in ODI annals to effect three dismissals in debut game.
- For the first time in this World Cup, no century was scored in a match. In fact, no batsman from either side could manage to score a fifty.
- Canada, by beating Bangladesh by 60 runs, became the fifth non-Test playing country to beat a Test playing country in World Cup. Others to do so are Sri Lanka in 1979 (defeated India), Zimbabwe in 1983 & 1992 (defeated Australia and England respectively), Kenya in 1996 (defeated West Indies) and Bangladesh themselves in 1999 (defeated Pakistan).
- This was Bangladesh 26th’s loss in 27 matches. Their solitary win had come against Pakistan at Northampton in 1999 World Cup.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Rajneesh Gupta)
- England in Sri Lanka 2020/21
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- India in Australia 2020/21
- India Women in Australia 2020/21
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2020/21
- New Zealand in Australia 2020/21
- Pakistan Women in South Africa 2020/21
- South Africa in Pakistan 2020/21
- West Indies in Bangladesh 2020/21
View all Current Events CLICK HERE