The son of Alexander Dunlop of Clober, Scotland, a wealthy landowner and "a cultured gentleman of the old school. A classical scholar and a staunch Whig." George was the third of fourteen brothers and sisters.
He was educated at The Edinburgh Academy where he attended 1857 to 1863. Whilst at the Academy he became renowned as an outstanding schoolboy batsman. A member of the cricket eleven 1862 and 1863 he was captain in 1863 when he scored a magnificent 145 not out against Merchiston Castle School, who played with their professional King in the team. It was then stated that the Academy score of 329 was the highest made in any game played in Scotland. Dunlop then scored 174 against Trinity College, Glenalmond in the next match.
His schoolfellows presented him with a gold watch suitably inscribed to commemorate these performances. He was a right-handed, very correct, batsman, who usually fielded at point.
He came south to Merseyside, playing his club cricket with Birkenhead Park and with Liverpool Gentlemen. In 1865 he was selected to play for Cheshire, scoring 26 runs in his two innings without being dismissed. On 11th to 13th June 1868 he played his only first-class match, for Lancashire against Surrey at Old Trafford, when he opened the batting.
On 29 and 30 June 1877, playing for Birkenhead Park against Rock Ferry in Birkenhead Park, he scored 201 in his club's total of 508. Rock Ferry only got to 30 for one wicket and the match was drawn.
With his younger brother, Gordon, he entered business as cotton brokers. On the day of the 1881 Census he was the guest of H.H.Barswell, the secretary of the Liverpool Cotton Exchange in North Meols, Southport. Also present was the Bardswells younger son, Gerald, aged seven. He was later to captain Lancashire.
Leaving his brother to conduct the business as cotton broker, George joined the Liverpool Stock Exchange, becoming a member of the firm of Pilkington and Dunlop of 6 Dale Street. A most popular businessman he was for many years a Member of the Committee of the Liverpool Stock Exchange and was well known on Merseyside as an after-dinner speaker.
He lived for many years at Stanley House, Hoylake and was a keen golfer, being Captain of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in 1896. In the 1870s he was described as ranking "amongst our best amateurs."
He never married but remained the favourite uncle to numerous nephews and nieces. He retired to Alloway in Ayrshire, but on 11th March 1926 was committed to Crichton Royal Hospital, Dumfries. He still managed to play golf and bowls and was discharged as recovered on 15th October. However by 1st December 1926 he was re-committed under sherriff's warrant for his own safety. He was housed in quite stylish quarters with private washing and toilet facilities and his own suit of rooms. There he was to remain until his death in 1929.
In his obituary in his old school magazine a friend recalled - "I can see him now as he was fifty five years ago - on the old ground at Edge Hill, closed in 1878, or at Childwall on Saturday afternoons - pegging away with his steady medium-pace bowling, defending his wicket with a straight bat, excelling in a late cut, his cheery face diffusing geniality and good fellowship around him."
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
Copyright © 2003-2013 Lancashire CCC and CricketArchive