Glamorgan v Monmouthshire
Minor Counties Championship 1908 (West Division Play-off)
VenueCardiff Arms Park, Cardiff on 27th, 28th August 1908 (2-day match)
Balls per over6
TossGlamorgan won the toss and decided to bat
ResultMatch drawn (Glamorgan won on better record in qualifying)
UmpiresW Pate, G Perkins
Close of play day 1Glamorgan (1) 138 all out

Glamorgan first inningsRunsBallsMins4s6s
*+JH Brainc JR Williams b Steeples8     
NVH Richeslbw b Steeples6     
WJ Bancroftc JR Williams b Weight43     
ER Sweet-Escottc JR Williams b FG Phillips25     
T Preecec NC Phillips b FG Phillips0     
A Gibsonlbw b FG Phillips1     
HG Symondsrun out9     
A Nashrun out3     
WS Hackerc NC Phillips b FG Phillips9     
EA Preedyst JR Williams b Silverlock24     
H Crebernot out3     
Extras(4 b, 3 lb)7
Total(all out, 48.4 overs)138
Fall of wickets:
1-10, 2-19, 3-77, 4-77, 5-84, 6-85, 7-93, 8-97, 9-131, 10-138 (48.4 ov)
Monmouthshire bowlingOversMdnsRunsWktsWidesNo-Balls
Steeples18   3492--
FG Phillips17   4274--
Weight3   1101--

Monmouthshire first inningsRunsBallsMins4s6s
EJ Diverdid not bat      
*ES Phillipsdid not bat      
FG Phillipsdid not bat      
NC Phillipsdid not bat      
KC Raikesdid not bat      
GL Robathandid not bat      
AJ Silverlockdid not bat      
R Steeplesdid not bat      
LH Weightdid not bat      
+JR Williamsdid not bat      
TB Williamsdid not bat      

--> There was no play on the final day.
--> R Steeples made his last appearance in Minor Counties Championship matches

This card comes from the Minor Counties Research Project - research is continuing on this scorecard which can be expected to change.
This additional match was played to decide which of the two teams from the Western Division should go forward to the semi-final against Wiltshire. Unfortunately, heavy rain limited play to just 2 hours on the first day, with the start delayed until 3.15 pm. and play ending early at 5.50 pm. The weather was bright at the start of the second day, but the pitch was too sodden for play to begin before lunch. A heavy downpour just after 2.00 pm ended any hope of play and the match was abandoned. There was no decision on first innings. It was decided that Glamorgan should go through to the semi-final because they had reached the final the previous year. J H Brain made his first appearance of the season and captained the Glamorgan team. He went on to play in the semi-final but not the final.
[Missing: Complete.]
Sources: Glamorgan Scorebook; Cardiff Evening Express 27,28 August; South Wales Daily News 28,29 August; South Wales Argus 27,28 August; Western Mail 28,29 August; The Sportsman 27,28,29 August; Cricket 3 September, p 395.





This page was created by the CricketArchive Oracles


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2018 CricketArchive