|Scorecard:||South Africa Women v Sri Lanka Women|
|Player:||C Brits, T Chetty, D van Niekerk|
|Event:||ICC Women's World Cup 2008/09|
DateLine: 14th March 2009
South Africa crushed Sri Lanka by nine wickets to take seventh place in a battle between the two teams without a win in the tournament. Only two Sri Lankan batsmen made it to double-digits as their side folded for 75, a total South Africa sauntered past with more than 21 overs to spare.
After choosing to bat, Sri Lanka were tied down by the South African new-ball bowlers. Opener Chamari Polgampola was bowled in the first over, and only 18 runs came off the next 11. Charlize van der Westhuizen then struck twice in successive overs, before a run-out and a wicket for Alicia Smith left Sri Lanka reeling at 35 for 5. Suwini de Alwis resisted with a 24 but fifteen-year-old legspinner Dane van Niekerk's blows and some more poor running from Sri Lanka meant South Africa had a modest target to chase.
There was an early hiccup for South Africa when opener Yolandi van der Westhuizen was bowled for a duck. However Trisha Chetty and Cri-zelda Brits, South Africa's highest run-getters in the tournament, put on an unbroken 72-run stand to end their side's run of eight games without a win.
South Africa had finished in seventh place in the 2005 World Cup as well, and Sri Lanka had been sixth.
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE