|Player:||MA Taylor, SR Waugh|
DateLine: 16th February 2009
Former Australian captains Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor will lead the teams in a celebrity Twenty20 cricket match to raise funds for the Victorian wildfire appeal.
The cricket match, which will be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground next Sunday, is also set to feature federal Environment Minister and former rock singer Peter Garrett, boxer Anthony Mundine and former Test stars Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater.
Cricket New South Wales chief executive David Gilbert said Waugh and Taylor immediately agreed to play when he approached them.
Waugh captained Australia in 57 Tests up to his retirement in 2004 and Taylor led his country in 50 Tests up to 1999.
Prominent National Rugby League players Braith Anasta and Anthony Minichiello and Wallabies Phil Waugh, Lote Tuqiri and the retired Matthew Burke will also feature, along with former world surfing champion Mick Fanning and current surfer Joel Parkinson, organisers said.
Organisers said they hope the match will raise 500,000 dollars (330,000 US) for the Red Cross wildfire appeal.
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE