|Ground:||Karachi Gymkhana Ground, Karachi|
|Scorecard:||India Women v Sri Lanka Women|
|Event:||Women's Asia Cup 2005/06|
DateLine: 29th December 2005
India's women cricketers on Thursday began their Asia Cup defence convincingly, defeating Sri Lanka by ten wickets at the Gymkhana ground.
India, who beat Sri Lanka in the two-nation first Asia Cup in 2003, raced to 118-0 in 27.3 overs after bundling their opponents out for a meager 115 in 48.5 overs.
Host Pakistan, the third team competing in the double-league event, lost to Sri Lanka by 14 runs in the opening match on Wednesday.
Off-spinner Nooshin Al-khadeer with 3-11 and leg-break bowler Reema Malhotra (3-31) rocked the Sri Lankans, who failed to build any partnership. Chamari Pologampola top-scored with 23.
India finished runners-up to Australia in the World Cup early this year and are Asia's top-ranked women's team. Karuna Jain with 52 and Jaya Sharma 58 remained undefeated as they cruised to an easy win.
India now take on Pakistan on Friday.
All three teams face each other twice with the top two teams playing in the January 4 final.
Pakistan is hosting its first international cricket event for women after the country's cricket board formed a women's section early this year.
(Article: Copyright © 2005 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE