DateLine: 1st December 2010
Bacup have signed Jon-Jon Smuts as their new professional. The 22 year-old is a team-mate of last season's professional Michael Smith at Warriors. In fact the pair regularly open the batting for the State side back home in South Africa and Smith strongly recommended his team-mate to Bacup.
Smuts is a right handed batsman who has made 2199 runs at 37.3 with a career high score of 150 the best of his four centuries to date since his First-class debut for Eastern Province in 2007. His slow left-arm orthodox bowling has accounted for 37 victims with a best of 6-80.
Smuts stood in as sub professional last season for Colne against his new club whilst he was paid man at Chorley. Next season's encounters between the two clubs should be interesting with Jo-Jon's brother Kelly already having signed for Worsley Cup holders Colne in October.
Smuts will be Bacup's fifth South African professional following in the footsteps of Neal Radford, Evan Hodkinson, Brad White and Michael Smith.
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE