DateLine: 27th October 2009
The wife of Pakistani bowling legend Wasim Akram was laid to rest in Lahore on Monday, mourned by hundreds of people after her sudden death in India from heart and kidney complications.
Huma Akram, 42, died in Chennai on Sunday and her body brought to Pakistan's eastern metropolis, where hundreds attended funeral prayers led by Wasim's former team-mate Saeed Anwar.
"Huma's loss is great and I request my fans to pray for me so that I am able to raise my kids," said Wasim, who has two sons, Akbar and Taimur.
Former team-mates Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Ijaz Ahmed, Moin Khan and Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt were among the mourners.
Huma was admitted to hospital in Chennai last Tuesday after her condition deteriorated in an air ambulance while being flown from Lahore to Singapore for treatment.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani led the messages of condolence sent to Wasim.
(Article: Copyright © 2009 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Bangladesh Women in Pakistan 2015/16
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- Pakistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Pakistan Women in West Indies and United States of America 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- West Indians in Sri Lanka 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE