DateLine: 27th October 2009
The wife of Pakistani bowling legend Wasim Akram was laid to rest in Lahore on Monday, mourned by hundreds of people after her sudden death in India from heart and kidney complications.
Huma Akram, 42, died in Chennai on Sunday and her body brought to Pakistan's eastern metropolis, where hundreds attended funeral prayers led by Wasim's former team-mate Saeed Anwar.
"Huma's loss is great and I request my fans to pray for me so that I am able to raise my kids," said Wasim, who has two sons, Akbar and Taimur.
Former team-mates Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Ijaz Ahmed, Moin Khan and Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt were among the mourners.
Huma was admitted to hospital in Chennai last Tuesday after her condition deteriorated in an air ambulance while being flown from Lahore to Singapore for treatment.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani led the messages of condolence sent to Wasim.
(Article: Copyright © 2009 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE