DateLine: 22nd September 2009
England coach Andy Flower says star batsman Kevin Pietersen may miss this winter's tour of SA because of slow progress in recovery from surgery.
The right-hander limped through the opening two Ashes Tests earlier this summer, before deciding to undergo an operation to try and reduce the impact the complaint could have on his career.
England hoped to have him back for the start of the Champions Trophy this week, however, an infection in his Achilles following surgery has served to hamper the 29-year-old's recovery.
Pietersen will be given every chance to prove his fitness with the ECB this week deciding to delay the naming of the touring party until after the Champions Trophy, although Flower admitted Pietersen's name may not be on that list.
"Yes that's possible. We're still taking that day by day. We're still not sure whether he's going to be fit or not," Flower admitted.
"The infection that he got initially and the subsequent lack of healing that's taken place since then (has set back his recovery). He had quite a horrible wound after the infection took hold."
"I'm not sure exactly of what he's able to do at the moment, the medical people have been handling that.
"I would have wanted him back at the start of this one-day tournament."
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE