Ian Smith was a talented schoolboy sportsman, with the young Geordie having trials with several First Division football clubs as well as playing for Young England in 1984/85.
He joined Glamorgan`s staff in 1983, and two years later he made his first-class debut against the Zimbabweans at Swansea. He showed promise as a seam bowler, and also developed into a capable middle-order batsman, but he then sustained a hip injury in 1988 and missed all of the season.
Smith registered his maiden century in 1989, scoring 116 against Kent at Canterbury, but he subsequently struggled for form and fitness and was released by Glamorgan at the end of the 1991 season.
He returned to the north-east and played for Durham in 1992 and 1993. He has subsequently emigrated to South Africa.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in New Zealand 2015/16
- UAE Associates Matches 2015/16
- West Indies in Australia 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE