Ian Smith was a talented schoolboy sportsman, with the young Geordie having trials with several First Division football clubs as well as playing for Young England in 1984/85.
He joined Glamorgan`s staff in 1983, and two years later he made his first-class debut against the Zimbabweans at Swansea. He showed promise as a seam bowler, and also developed into a capable middle-order batsman, but he then sustained a hip injury in 1988 and missed all of the season.
Smith registered his maiden century in 1989, scoring 116 against Kent at Canterbury, but he subsequently struggled for form and fitness and was released by Glamorgan at the end of the 1991 season.
He returned to the north-east and played for Durham in 1992 and 1993. He has subsequently emigrated to South Africa.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE