Ian Smith was a talented schoolboy sportsman, with the young Geordie having trials with several First Division football clubs as well as playing for Young England in 1984/85.
He joined Glamorgan`s staff in 1983, and two years later he made his first-class debut against the Zimbabweans at Swansea. He showed promise as a seam bowler, and also developed into a capable middle-order batsman, but he then sustained a hip injury in 1988 and missed all of the season.
Smith registered his maiden century in 1989, scoring 116 against Kent at Canterbury, but he subsequently struggled for form and fitness and was released by Glamorgan at the end of the 1991 season.
He returned to the north-east and played for Durham in 1992 and 1993. He has subsequently emigrated to South Africa.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE