Between 1944 and 1956, Stan Montgomery played professional football as a centre-half for Hull, Southend United, Cardiff City and Newport County. During this time he was also on the staff of Essex and Glamorgan, for whom he made 29 appearances between 1949 and 1953.
Montgomery never made the first team in his time at Essex, and the right-handed batsman made his first-class debut in Glamorgan`s match against Derbyshire at the Arms Park in 1949. Later in the season, he shared in what is still a club record fifth wicket partnership, adding 264 with Maurice Robinson against Hampshire at Bournemouth, with Montgomery scoring his maiden Championship hundred.
After retiring from League football, Montgomery had a short spell with Llanelli, before becoming a coach at Norwich, Cardiff City and Cardiff University, and then from 1969 coaching at Bradfield School.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE