Gwyn Richards helped to guide Glamorgan to the final of the Gillette Cup in 1977. The off-spinner bowled several accurate spells during the competition, especially in the semi-final at Swansea, with figures of 12-4-17-2. He later shared a useful partnership with wicket-keeper Eifion Jones which saw Glamorgan to victory with fifteen balls in hand. Richards also bowled well in the final against Middlesex, conceding just 23 runs from his 12 over allocation,and taking the wicket of Graham Barlow.
Richards had made his Glamorgan debut in 1971 whilst still on the M.C.C. groundstaff. He won a place as a middle order batsman on a regular basis in 1974, and his confidence was boosted a maiden century against Yorkshire in 1976. He also developed his off-spin bowling and made some useful contributions in one-day matches.
However, he subsequently lost form and confidence in 1978, and left the county`s staff during the following season. His career average might look a modest one, but without his efforts with bat and ball in 1977, Glamorgan might never have made it to their first, and so far only, one-day final at Lord`s.
(Article: Copyright © 2000 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE